Leading safety tips for new homeowners in New Haven
If you purchased your first home or you’re about to, congratulations! It’s a thrilling time for you and your family. You’re probably pondering the many ways you can customize your residence with furnishings, paint, and decor. But, before you get too far, be sure you give thought to home security too. Keeping your loved ones safeguarded should always be a leading priority, and we’ll show you how with these safety tips for new homeowners in New Haven.
Complete a safety audit of your new New Haven property
Now that you’re contemplating safety, find out what your new home already has. First, make sure you have working smoke detectors. Test every one and switch out batteries if needed. Are carbon monoxide detectors present? Is there a water sensor downstairs? This is also a perfect time to upgrade door locks and inspect all window locks. Go through each room and scope out your new house.
Smart security tips for your New Haven home
Once you’ve finished your opening check of safety alarms and locks, you should consider improving your property’s defense. Get started with these security tips for your home in New Haven.
- Install a modern home security system. One of the smartest tools for new homeowners in New Haven is a home security system. The latest in wireless technology lets you keep tabs on your home even when you’re away. You are able to review real-time video feeds, operate entry locks, and even speak with people at your door directly from your cell phone. You can even custom-tailor your system with worthwhile security features like video surveillance and monitored fire alarms.
- Update exterior lights. Exterior lights with motion detectors are a smart solution in deterring potential burglars. You can even use them in conjunction with outdoor cameras. The activating of a motion detector can tell your surveillance to begin recording.
- Maintain your yard. Do you have a clear view of your property from the interior? Are there oversized bushes and trees obstructing the view? Remove possible spots to hide by keeping your yard well groomed. Your neighbors will be grateful for it too.
- Get to know people on your street. One more thing about your neighbors, get to know them. If you are friendly with people nearby, they’ll be more inclined to advise you if they detect suspicious activity. You can also join your area’s social media page if one is created.
- Take advantage of home automation. If you opt for a modern smart home, you can make it look like you’re inside by illuminating smart lighting at predetermined times. This is a great option when you’re at work or on vacation.